Friday, February 5, 2016

With all this talk about the CDC trying to tell women how to live their lives....

Life is important. 

Life is valuable.

Every life counts.

The CDC came out with this press release on February 2, 2016. I am not surprised by all the snarky comments that the government is trying to tell women what to do with their bodies again! The CDC knows what alcohol can do to a developing fetus. Before you develop an opinion on this subject, you should know the facts on what alcohol can do to a baby's brain, too. Here's a great resource on how alcohol can affect the baby from conception to delivery.

Still don't believe me?

Come visit my house. I live with someone who has FASD. My daughter tries harder than any kid I know to fit in, learn in school, and follow directions. Things don't come easy to her. She gives her 110% and it's still not enough to measure up to her peers. She doesn't pick up on social cues and has a hard time understanding jokes. My daughter doesn't have that many friends because of her inability to connect to another person. My daughter also doesn't understand consequences of her actions. She doesn't know why she can color with a red marker but not a red sharpie. She doesn't know why she has to look both ways to cross the street EVERY time and EVERY street and not just the street in front of our house. Sometimes my daughter can have some pretty severe behaviors at times. Some of these behaviors would send typical parents running to a psychiatric hospital, but as her mom I know it's brain damage. I know some parents with kids who are affected with FASD have to send their kids to a treatment facility because their behaviors get so violent in the home. Her birth mom drank alcohol while she was pregnant with my daughter. We don't know how much or how little. But we do know they affects that it has on her daily living. It's not easy at times living with my daughter, but God put her in our lives because He knew that she needed a mom like me to take care of her with all of her disabilities.

As I'm writing this post, I am sitting in a coffee shop waiting for our neuropsych appointment to tell us how much the alcohol has affected my daughter's brain. I have tears running down my face as I type because my daughter didn't get a fair chance at life before she came into this world. She was already impaired from the beginning. There isn't any medicine or treatment that can cure FASD. We have to teach my daughter to learn to live with her disabilities. No kid should have to learn that.

A common response that I get when I post anything about drinking alcohol while pregnant is "well, we don't know how much is too much or how much is safe". Ok, so we KNOW that alcohol is a teratogen and can hurt the developing fetus, but you still want to play Russian Roulette? Would you want your mom to play Russian Roulette with your brain? I don't think so. If you really can't go 9 + months without drinking alcohol, you might have an alcohol addiction and should therefore seek treatment.

As parents, we make a lot of sacrifices when we are raising our children. It should be no different when your child is still in utero.


So is it really worth the risk to have a sip of alcohol if you're trying to get pregnant?

Is alcohol more important to you than a human life?

What would you do if someone tried to impair your abilities to live a normal and healthy life?


It's not worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment