Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Easy Homemade Condensed Soup Recipes

We have a tiny grocery budget for our family of three plus a cat and a gerbil. I like to spend less than $300 each month for everything (toiletries, food, cleaning products, cat/gerbil food, etc...). Sounds crazy, I know. Whenever I talk to friends about our grocery budget they immediately assume that we eat a lot of processed foods because they're cheaper. That could further from the truth in my house! I am very picky with the types of food that I buy and what we eat. I try to buy protein filled snacks and very few processed foods. I'm on this paleo diet minus the no dairy and legumes. I've got to have some legumes-they're so cheap! And dairy, I can't give up cheese. One thing that I've had trouble giving up that is processed is condensed soups. I make a ton of casseroles that I freeze and can pop into the oven on a busy night. Condensed soups are loaded with sodium and have lots of "other ingredients" in them, but they are a staple in American cooking. I've thought about making my own condensed soups, but I feared that is would be a long process and frankly, "I ain't got time for that!". I came across this recipe on my facebook a couple of weeks back and I am so thrilled to try it!

Easy Homemade Condensed Soup Recipe:
http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2016/02/02/easy-homemade-condensed-soup/

Here are some alterations to this base condensed soup recipe:
Tomato Soup:
Use Tomato juice instead of milk or stock. And leave out the salt unless you're using salt-free tomato juice. Also add a dash of onion powder and cook the rest of the ingredients according to the base recipe.

Cream of Chicken:
Use half milk and half chicken stock. Add a pinch of sage and a dash of onion powder and cook the rest of the ingredients according to the base recipe.

Cream of Mushroom:
Use half milk and half mushroom stock. (mushroom stock: take a small jar of mushrooms/or a handful of chopped up fresh and put into a sauce pan. Cover mushrooms with water and let saute.) Once your mushroom stock is done, add the base ingredients for condensed soup and a dash of onion powder and cook the rest of the ingredients according to the base recipe.

Cream of Celery:
Chop 1/2 cup of celery and 1/4 cup of onion. Saute with butter until vegetables are tender. Add to the base ingredients and cook according to the base recipe.

Cream of Cheddar Cheese:
Shred 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese. Add 1/4 tsp of mustard and cook the rest of the ingredients according to the base recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment