Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Explosive Child

If you've been following my blog for awhile, then you know parenting an adopted child is hard stuff! Adopted children are difficult to raise because of their past and lack of nurturing while they were in their birth mom's belly or in early life. Some of these children are not flexible at all. Can I get an amen?!? If you've been around a newly adopted (less than 5 years) child then you've probably seen some crazy outbursts over the smallest matters.

I found this book, The Explosive Child by Ross W. Greene, PhD, on one of the facebook groups that I follow. This has been one of the best books, although it doesn't specifically discuss adopted children. This book is for all parents and care givers of children who are not flexible or easily frustrated. Dr. Greene gives great strategies on parenting these frustrated children. I am about half way finished reading this book, so I can't mention everything that I've learned from this book. So far this book has helped me to teach Smalls how to be flexible when its hard and to handle her frustration better (I feel like this is my life's goal for Smalls. We struggle with this a lot). If we could keep reducing Smalls' explosions to once a week or even (let's get crazy), once every two weeks, I will be in heaven! And I think this book is going to help us get there.

I am going to add this book to my top 5 books to read for adopting the older child. The Explosive Child goes along with Dr. Karyn's book, The Connected Child. It gives similar strategies that are specific to children who have trouble being flexible or who are easily frustrated in their daily life. This books helps the care giver to understand where the child is coming from and to give strategies to cope with daily frustrations.

Now back to the book....

No comments:

Post a Comment