Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Whole Brain Child

Another great book by Dr. Dan Siegel!

The Whole Brain Child by Dr. Dan Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson

This is a great book that gives 12 strategies for nurturing your child. It is a very practical book, whether you've adopted or not.

Forget giving diapers or baby toys to new parents. I'm starting to give my expectant friends a copy of this book. I think every parent should read this book. He talks about the upstairs brain and how it effects the choices our kids make. This would be the greatest gift for any new (and old) parent.

A lot of our trauma kids have a hard time engaging the logical side of their brain because they are stuck on the emotional side due to their trauma history. Dr. Dan gives practical advice for helping them to reach the logical side of their brain so they can make wise choices. It has helped me to parent Smalls by using his 12 strategies. My favorite one is "engage, not enrage". It is so catchy and whenever I'm about to "get into it" with Smalls I remember this saying to help calm my stressed brain.

Have you read this book? What do you think? How have you applied Dr. Siegel's principles in your parenting?

No comments:

Post a Comment