Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog

The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog by Dr. Bruce Perry and Maia Szalavitz.

I just finished reading this book. Wow, just wow. What a wonderful book that has opened my eyes to what trauma can do to our bodies and most importantly, how we can respond to it. I couldn't put this book down. I just wanted to keep reading story after story and see how Dr. Perry handled each situation.

Dr. Perry gives real case stories about how trauma has affected his patients. It has opened my eyes to see how trauma has affected Smalls. As I was reading each story, I found a piece of Smalls in each one. I am encouraged that our TBRI training will eventually pay off later, when Smalls is older and has experienced nurturing care by us repeatedly.

However, there is one con to this book. He gives real life stories and unfortunately, he did not make up the details of the trauma that these children experience. These children have endured so much trauma that I couldn't imagine dealing with it as an adult, much less a child going through it. It made me sad to think that someone in this world would actually cause harm to a child. With all of the training and reading that I've done, I've learned that the abused becomes the abuser if not had nurture and healing from their own trauma. Anyways, this book is heavy on trauma. You may need to take a break after reading each story because it is hard to imagine that a person would hurt a helpless child. This con is not really a con, but it what makes the book. After all, the book is about stories from a child psychiatrist.

I am now a big fan of Dr. Bruce Perry and his neurosequential program and it is similar to TBRI. Dr. Perry adds music and exercise to his program to help strengthen different parts of the brain that have low development. His program is about strengthening the brain where it's the weakest-makes sense!

I know I say this about every book I read and post about on my blog, but seriously, you need to read this if you have a child from the hard places this book will help you to figure out how trauma has affected your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment