Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Adopt Debt Free: Milk Is Expensive

I am always looking for ways to stretch my grocery dollars. And milk is one of those grocery items that I am forced to pay full price on. It's not like the milk industry offers coupons for milk. To make matters worse, we go through at least 1 gallon of milk every week. And if I make yogurt that week, we use about 2 gallons of milk. How can we save money on this staple grocery item?

Well, I happened to be reading The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn-which is a great book- and she has a great idea about milk that I have never considered. Instead of buying refrigerated milk, buy powdered. My first thought-do they make that in America? I know powdered milk is prevalent in other countries, but ours? Does it even taste good? Healthy? I was a bit of a skeptic at first when I read this idea in Amy's book, so I had to investigate first.

So off to the store I go to check it out, read the label, and see how much it costs.

How many ingredients does it have: 3 ingredients: nonfat dry milk, vitamin A palmitate, and vitamin D3. As far as healthy goes, powdered milk is just as healthy as refrigerated milk. And Walmart gives it the "good for you" logo on the package.

How much does it cost: The Great Value (Walmart brand) 64 oz. package costs about $16 and makes 5 gallons of milk. That's about $3.20/gallon-cheaper than the refrigerated milk, which I spend about $4/gallon. I would be saving $.80/gallon

Does it taste good: To be honest, I am not a milk fan. Drinking a glass of milk just creeps me out. To start off, I mixed half a gallon of refrigerated milk and half a gallon of powdered milk. It tastes just like milk. My daughter hasn't complained about it. I don't think she can tell a difference. Now can she tell a difference with the 100% powdered milk? Nope, not one single complaint. I don't think we are going back to refrigerated milk.
Update: Apparently, Wes does not like the 100% powdered milk. To make my gallon of milk last longer, we will drink the gallon of milk till it is at the halfway point (2 quarts left), then I will add 2 quarts of powdered milk. At least we are saving some money and I don't have to buy 2 gallons each week or make an extra trip to the store because we are out of milk!

Ok, for those of you who still don't like the idea of powdered milk. Here are some tips on how to cut down on your milk costs.

Sign up with Ibotta.
Why? Ibotta will pay you $.25 to scan the receipt of your milk at participating stores.

Sign up with Checkout 51.
Why? Checkout 51 will occasionally pay you $.25 to scan the receipt of your milk.

Sign up with Target Cartwheel. (if you have a Target in your area)
Usually Target offers 5% off on milk. Add the milk offer to your cartwheel and print out your barcode. The cashier will scan it when you check out.

Look for Target coupons on milk. Click here for the link.

Your milk could cost about $3.30/gallon, if you normally pay $4/gallon like me.

What are your thoughts on powdered milk? Taboo to you or are you cool with the idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment